October 21, 2013

Oh my gosh, it’s been so long since I have blogged! Tomorrow is another Chemo day, man, it went by fast!  After my last round of Chemos, I came home to both little kids sick!  The worst possible scenario for me…no immune system to fight off anything against TWO croupy coughs and snotty, sneezing noses.  Of course, I immediately got a fever that night.  My orders from my oncologist are if I run a temperature over 100.4 degrees F, I must call immediately and then go the doctor/ER, no matter what time of day it is.  I am at a high risk for a blood infection and also a blood clot in my lungs and these could be life threatening for me if not treated right away.  Sooooo, to make a long story short, I flirted with 100.5 until Friday, then reached 100.7 and ended up at Beth Israel on Friday.  I went during business hours so I was able to be seen on the oncology floor and didn’t have to deal with the ER.  As soon as I got there I had my usual chest X-ray to rule out a clot or pneumonia and then went for my blood work to check my counts and see if I had a blood infection.  The initial blood work is done right in front of me, they mix my blood to check for infections in different serums and glass bottles.  As I am getting this done, I just lose it.  I can’t see or hear anything.  I was unresponsive and from what I found out, they alarms went off on the floor and people came rushing and even asked if they needed a crash cart.  My eyes were open but I was as white as a ghost and just completely unresponsive.  They immediately got me on a gurney and put a line in me and got me down the hall and literally poured fluids into my veins.  I was dehydrated.  My chemo and the virus that I was trying to fight off had left me severely dehydrated.  Dehydration is also life threatening for me.  Poor Lisa had taken me to the hospital and was probably on the verge of a stroke as she witnessed what was going on.  Thank god Scott was not there, that would of definitely killed him, he does not have the stomach for that kind of stuff.  Good news is I got to go home that night.  My fever stayed at 100.7 for the next 24 hours and then I was fine.  Scott was so sweet and slept in the living room with me, sitting up in the chair to make sure my fever didn’t get worse.  He’s the best.  The next day is when I stuck my feet in the sand and made the decision to go completely vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free.  No more crap.  I juice greens everyday and I drink about 3- 4 ounces of wheatgrass everyday, which is like hooking up my immune system to jumper cables.  I feel 300% different with this lifestyle change.  Now, I am obviously still very sick and feel sick and still have pain, BUT the decrease in my physical symptoms is incredible.  I could not be happier.  My oncologist called me the other day to say Hi and check on me because she hadn’t heard from me and said I sounded like a completely different person when I answered the phone.  Have I mentioned that I absolutely love my oncologist.  I told her what I was doing and she was so thrilled. 

The past three weeks have been incredible.  Jessica Small and her bosses and colleagues at Salon Sorella in Franklin have been showing their love and support for me with their pink hair extensions for Breast Cancer Awareness month and I have been getting some awesome picture of the girls on Franklin sports teams with their pink extensions.  Its just so awesome!

I had the pleasure of meeting the wonderful ladies from MetroWest Bootcamp.  They offered to work with me and they are huge supporters of this cause as they all know someone close to them or have personally experienced this awful disease.  They do wonderful things for people and feel so grateful to have met them!  Check out their website www.metrowestbootcamponline.com !

I was surprised by some wonderful gift/care packages from my grade school friends and My family and Scotts family and friends have been sending things for the kids and making dinners and spoiling everyone to take their minds off this terrible twist in our happy little world.  I just want to thank everyone, from all of us!  The messages of positive thoughts, hopes and prayers are truly remarkable and I believe they are working. 

Scott left on a business trip tonight.  He wont be home until late, late Thursday night.  This is the first time he will not be sitting next to me while I am hooked up to my Chemos.  I am going to have a little Chemo party tomorrow with Emily and Sarah who had offered to take me in and hang out.  They are so thoughtful to take the time to do this, it is very emotional to have to watch someone go through this. 

I actually went out last Friday night with Scott and my friends for Emily’s birthday.  This was the first time I had been out, it was so nice to be social and be with them!  Of course, my body told me when I needed to go home, but I had such a nice time celebrating with Emily and gang.  Josh was happy that I wasn’t sneaking his drinks from him and sucking them done when he wasn’t looking, like I’ve always done in the past.  He’s probably the happiest one of all that I am no longer drinking booze. 

I finally got a wig.  It’s just like my “old hair” and was hand made just for me.  It is so weird to look in the mirror and see myself with hair.  It is also VERY nice to go out and not have everyone stare at me and my bald head.  My kids like it, which is the one thing I was worried about, I didn’t want them to be freaked out about it but the funny thing is…when out in public, my Hannah actually rats me out to people while standing in the checkout!  Telling people I have a wig on!

Back to the real world tomorrow, I am hoping to get some dates for scans tomorrow as well as some more news about the dreaded upcoming mastectomy. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Lots of love, from us to you! xoxoxo


2 thoughts on “October 21, 2013

  1. Glad to read the update with your positive attitude and to hear all the great support you are receiving . Keep on fighting! 💜

  2. Spot on girl. Your attitude and your endless fight against this crap as well as how hard you work for your family is just amazing. So proud of you. Good luck today.! Loves, me

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s